Connect with Sarah on email, or via, via
POSTED 22nd Jun, 2022 REF NO. BBBH16543
EL1 Legal Officer - FOI, Privacy, Advisory
This small independent Commonwealth statutory authority deals with advisory, reporting and assurance responsibilities for the work expenses of parliamentarians and their staff. They operate on a culture of accountability and transparency and assist with compliance and enforcement where necessary. A small Agency of under 75 staff, they enjoy an excellent and collaborative culture.
This is a vacant role and whilst initially the position will be offered for 12 months, it will afford the successful applicant the opportunity to secure permanency, should it be a great fit for both employer and employee. Working in the largest branch in the Agency, this is an opportunity to have greater autonomy and work across a broader scope of work, often the case in smaller agencies.
- Opportunity to work with a small but collegiate team
- 12-month non-ongoing contract – s26 transfers for high performing APS6’s considered
- Vacant role and opportunity to secure permanency
Working in the largest Branch in the Agency, you will report directly into the Executive and support the Agency with a variety of legal matters and act as the internal advisory. This position also has some exposure to general legal policy and all complex legal matters will be referred to Australian Government Solicitor.
- Provide technical and strategic legal advice on various matters including those specific to the operations and functions of the Agency
- Manage Freedom of Information (FOI), Privacy and Public Interest Disclosure (PID) obligations, including responding to enquiries, providing advice, and supporting colleagues in carrying out related processes and reporting
- Support the Chief Executive Officer and other Senior Managers representing the Agency in sensitive legal matters and negotiations
- Perform ad hoc legal research, analysis and reporting tasks
- Draft briefs, papers, reports and other correspondence relevant to legal issues and risks
- Build and maintain working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Provide guidance, support and advice to colleagues to build capability and understanding in relation to contracts, MOUs, delegations, FOI, privacy and other legislative obligations
Your Background and Experience
The ideal applicant is an experienced lawyer with the flexibility to apply their technical skills across a broad range of legal matters, including Freedom of Information, Privacy, administrative law, commercial and governance, and statutory interpretation. To be successful in this role, you will:
- Work independently, but as part of the Branch team
- Have broad generalist legal skills and work with all teams in the Agency
- Be able to manage multiple, competing priorities within short timeframes
- Have a good understanding of Commonwealth legal obligations, and the ability to acquire a more specific understanding
- Be able to provide technical advice across a broad range of legal matters
- Possess strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to liaise with, and advise colleagues and other stakeholders on complex, and sensitive, matters
Salary / Rate
- $111 – $144k + 15.4% super (depending on experience)
- 12-month contracts with extension options – ASAP start
- Forrest (Central location)
- Must be an Australian Citizen to be eligible to apply
How to Apply
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link.
Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please contact Sarah Tamasi on 02 6108 4878 quoting ref no. 16543.