Connect with Alan on email, or via, via
POSTED 24th Feb, 2020 REF NO. BBBH10457
EL1 Finance Business Partner
Our client is a key Commonwealth Government agency that plays a critical role in a range of high profile issues across Australian policy areas.
This opportunity calls for a high performing and outgoing Accountant. Our client requires someone already in the public service who understands government as you will be working in high profile and politically sensitive projects where a thorough understanding of APS protocols and systems is a prerequisite. You will work to a supportive and friendly manager who will invest in you to continue developing your career. There is good opportunity for appointment to a permanent position with the agency or contract extension should you be kicking goals in the role.
Love numbers but also love working closely with people? Then this role is for you. Partner with your business stakeholders to help them understand their financial performance and keep the budgets on track.
Key duties will include:
- Developing and maintaining divisional budget ledger and supporting documentation for the forward estimates and planning
- Undertaking analysis and evaluating key program trends, cost drivers and identifying budget issues in support of high level analysis and evaluation of the divisional financial planning requirements
- Researching and analysing financial management issues and provide advice based on results/evidence
- Contributing to business improvement for core financial management processes within your divisional areas
- Maintaining budgeting and costings tools and templates, business rules, policies and procedures to ensure up to date and consistent use across the divisions
- Supporting the provision of monthly financial management reports to key internal and external stakeholders
- Explaining and presenting financial information and evidence to non-financial stakeholders in a clear and concise way that brokers both understand and action where required
- Developing and maintaining strategic relationships with key stakeholders.
This role will suit a savvy Management Accountant who thrives on seeing their work influence key business decisions. You are working at the coalface of where the business happens, and your ability to provide accurate and timely financial advice will link directly to stronger outcomes. You are a good communicator and enjoy working with people.
Key requirements include:
- Strong, demonstrated experience in a similar role within a government accounting environment
- Highly developed skills in the use of Microsoft Excel
- Project financial management experience (ICT projects highly regarded)
- Demonstrated understanding of Commonwealth Government accounting processes and regulatory requirements
- Strong accounting technician with relevant tertiary qualifications and CPA/CA
- The capability to provide high level advice on a broad range of accounting issues, resolve complex and sensitive issues and deliver quality outcomes under constrained timeframes
- Ability to make timely and accurate decisions, factoring in a changing environment in order to support sound management decisions
- Strong analytical ability to understand the drivers behind the figures and tell the story
- Demonstrated experience being proactive and using problem solving and influencing skills to resolve accounting issues in a timely manner
- Strong work ethic, with the ability to respond quickly and flexibly to change and operate within a dynamic and fast paced environment
- You MUST be an Australian Citizen to be considered for this opportunity.
$70 – $80 per hour + 9.5% super.
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link. Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please contact Alan Larby on 02 6108 4878, quoting Ref No. 10457.
This opportunity not quite right for you? We have multiple finance and accounting opportunities available right now on a contract and permanent basis. Get in touch for a confidential discussion.