Connect with Alan on email, or via, via
POSTED 12th Feb, 2020 REF NO. BBBH10654
APS6 Finance Business Partner
Our client is a large federal government department working on large scale government initiatives. The projects and programs run by this department have priority within federal government, and national high visibility in the media.
If you are seeking to commence, develop or further a career in government management accounting, this is a quality opportunity for your learning and development with a supportive Director and team who will proactively integrate you into the APS, or if you are already in government, help accelerate your career.
This is a small team within a much larger finance team, and they enjoy the benefits of scale on both levels – they are friendly, prioritise internal promotion, cross-training, and enjoy coming together as a unit to deliver on their outcomes.
This initial 6 or 12 month role (flexible to your preference on contract length) will see you working very closely with the Director and Assistant Directors finance business partnering into various Divisions (including a very cool, high profile, commercial division). Whilst the contract is non-ongoing, there is a strong chance of permanency for a high performer.
Key responsibilities in the role include:
- Monthly management reporting, forecasting and analysis of cost centres and accounts
- Review capital and project works, accounting and capitalisations including sense checking the numbers, understanding assumptions, and performing due diligence activity
- Develop and maintain supporting worksheets for internal budgets and costings
- Assist in coordinating the budget process and documentation
- Engage with relevant stakeholders to understand their business areas and key programs so that you can assist with accurate costings, budgeting and forecasts underpinned by supported assumptions
- Reconciliations / prepayment journals / end of month accruals
- Distinguishing and allocating capital and operational expenses
- Providing strategic financial advice into divisional areas (e.g. ICT).
These roles require strong analysing skills and the ability to problem solve and seek out answers to complex issues. You are a person who can learn fast and contribute quickly. Qualified accountants with finance business partnering or accounting experience in government encouraged to apply.
The successful applicant will demonstrate:
- Relevant accounting qualifications including CA/CPA or good progress towards
- Previous experience in management accounting
- Sound awareness of the PGPA Act and its compliance requirements
- High attention to detail in your numbers and for documenting assumptions
- Intermediate Excel skills with the ability to analyse and interrogate data
- A high level of organisation with ability to manage deadlines and competing priorities
- Highly developed interpersonal engagement skills
- A willingness to get into the detail and produce high quality work.
$85K – $92K + 15.4% Super.
You must be an Australian citizen with the ability to obtain a Baseline AGSVA security clearance.
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link. Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please contact Alan Larby on 02 6108 4878, quoting Ref No. 10654