Connect with Sarah on email, or via, via
POSTED 22nd May, 2019 REF NO. BBBH8836
APS5 Policy Officer - Plant Science
Our client is a Federal Government Department that develops and implements policies and programmes to ensure Australia’s agricultural, fisheries, food and forestry industries remain competitive, profitable and sustainable. With approximately 5000 staff nationwide, they have excellent career opportunities for someone looking to pursue a career in agriculture, biosecurity and sustainability.
An opportunity exists for an APS5 to work in an area that implements the Australian Government’s plant-related biosecurity functions to allow for the safe movement of plants, plant products and genetic material into and out of Australia. With training and development provided, this is an excellent opportunity for graduates or someone with minimal work experience and appropriate qualifications to gain experience in the APS and contribute to the field of plant science at a strategic level.
Working at the APS5 level, you will be a part of a collaborate team but have capacity to work independently.
Duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Assisting with developing and maintaining import policy on Australia’s import conditions database, BICON and other department websites
- Assisting with the development of technical advice and resolution of enquiries relating to the importation of plant based goods
- Supporting Executive Level staff in planning and coordinating work
- Assisting with team and branch activities as required
- Under direction, assist with Plant Sciences and Risk Assessment policy development by undertaking routine and less complex projects, research and reviews
- Develop briefs, Minutes and correspondence as required
- Support and contribute to section projects
- Provide high level support to clients and stakeholders on technical and policy issues regarding importation of biological materials
- Assist managers as required and actively participate in business improvement initiatives, including section level policy and procedures
To be successful in this role, you will have a strong interest in biosecurity and be motivated to learn new tasks and work in a team orientated environment.
In addition you will have the following:
- Excellent communication skills and proven science communication skills, scientific report writing etc.
- Experience working in fast paced environment with shifting priorities
- Knowledge of the principals of biosecurity and risk management, understanding of the Biosecurity Act 2015 would be highly regarded but is not essential
- The ability to work effectively both within a team and independently
- A science degree, preferably in plant related science, is mandatory in order to be considered. Graduates are encouraged to apply but any applied experience will be viewed favourably
- Australian Citizenship and the ability to successfully pass a national criminal history check are essential
An hourly rate of $46.00 – $51.00 per hour + 9.5% superannuation will be offered to the successful candidate. Please note, this rate includes casual leave loading in lieu of annual and sick leave. Initially a 3 month contract with extension options, an immediate start will be offered to the successful candidate.
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link. Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please contact Sarah Tamasi on (02) 6108 4878 quoting Ref No. 8836