Connect with Sarah on email, or via, via
POSTED 19th Nov, 2020 REF NO. BBBH12433
APS5/6 Work Health and Safety Officer
Our client is a specialist government agency and statutory authority that plays a critical role in Australia’s democracy.
This is an opportunity to work in a supportive Health, Safety and Wellbeing Team in the People Services Branch providing WHS support to managers and employees and reviewing the agency’s WHS performance reporting. You will also have the opportunity to develop and implement programmes for the proactive assessment and management of WHS risks.
The WHS Officer will be responsible for ensuring that the agency is compliant with all WHS legislation responsibilities and ensure that all roles under both the Enterprise Agreement and WHS legislation are filled and that the officers have the appropriate requirements to fulfil their roles.
- Provide professional and policy advice on WHS legislation
- Assist in the development and implementation of WHS procedures, guidelines and policies
- Undertake secretariat duties for WHS Committee and sub-committees
- Conduct risk assessments and workplace audits to understand the nature of workplace risk and identify effective ways to reduce risks
- Assist in the development and implementation of a safety management system
- Manage the agency’s incident reporting processes and responsibilities under the due diligence framework
- Assist in the facilitation and management of the relevant nomination and training for roles required under the WHS legislation (HSRs, FAOs)
- Monitor and report on costs associated to WHS and related programs
This position is ideal for high performing APS5 candidates who want to move up a level, or for a current APS6 looking for a change.
As the successful candidate you will have a proven WHS / injury management background. You will be a self-starter with a strong focus on delivering clear and effective advice, strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to cultivate strong working relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
You will also be familiar with and work within the guidelines of the Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988, Work Health and Safety Act 2011, the Public Service Act 1991, and AEC policy and guidelines.
Salary / Rate
- $55 – $65 per hour + Super
- 3 to 6 month contract to the successful applicant, there is also a high potential for extension
How to Apply
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link.
Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please contact Sarah Fowler on 02 6108 4878 quoting ref no. 12433.