Connect with Emma on email, or via, via
POSTED 7th Jun, 2022 REF NO. BBBH16473
APS5/6 Financial Accountant (Assets focus)
Large sized Government entity located in Central Canberra. Good sized finance team with ample opportunity for career development.
This role is a permanent role for existing APS employees, or a 12-month salaried non-ongoing opportunity for those looking to join Government with an existing baseline clearance. Applicants must be Australian Citizens with demonstrated knowledge of Financial Accounting principles (assets experience desirable). Hourly rate contracts considered if that is your preference.
Reporting to a highly experienced Assistant Director, you will work in a busy team to deliver key asset accounting and reporting. This Agency manages a number of significant and unusual / unique assets across Australia meaning interesting accounting treatments and out of the box considerations. In this role, you will be intentionally trained and developed under caring and professional mentors.
Key responsibilities include:
- EOM processes/ journals, depreciation run
- Asset additions, retirements, other adjustments (weekly)
- Asset account reconciliations
- Reconciliation of capital drawdowns with asset purchases
- Code correction journals
- Movement schedule (including GL vs Fixed Asset Register)
- IT disposal processing (All bids payments & receipts)
- Ad-hoc asset queries (asset register interrogation)
- Update the Asset Manual when required
- Confirming correct supporting paperwork and attachments i.e. additions/ disposal/ commissioned request forms, invoices etc.
- Assist cash management and monthly and yearly financial reporting processes (drawdowns, payroll, prepayment, etc.) when staff are away
- Assist EL1 with quarterly/ yearly financial statements
- Supervise APS4 Asset Accountant
- Preparing accounting papers, briefs, minutes, QoNs as required.
The Ideal Person
This role will suit a strong accounting technician with high accuracy and attention to detail. You will be a natural problem solver with ability to research and apply solutions to accounting treatment issues. You value working in a strong performing team where you will be stretched by experienced APS finance leaders eager to see you develop and flourish in the role. They have a strong track record of assimilating high performers into the APS and helping them gain permanency.
Experience and skills to be successful in the role include:
- Strong accounting technician with relevant tertiary qualifications and CPA/CA desirable
- Have the capability to provide advice on a broad range of accounting issues, resolve complex and sensitive issues and deliver quality outcomes under constrained timeframes
- Demonstrated experience being proactive and using problem solving and influencing skills to resolve accounting issues in a timely manner
- Current AGSVA baseline clearance required
Salary / Rate
- $75K – $95K + 15.4% Super
- 12 month non-ongoing contract with view to permanency, or s26 transfer
- Hourly rate contracts considered
How to Apply
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link.
Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please contact Emma Wentworth on 02 6108 4878 quoting ref no. 16473.
This opportunity not quite right for you? We have multiple financial and management accounting opportunities available right now on both a contract and permanent basis. Get in touch for a confidential discussion.
HorizonOne is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and we encourage applications from people of all cultures, capabilities and backgrounds.