Connect with Alan on email, or via, via
POSTED 28th Apr, 2020 REF NO. BBBH9444
APS5/6 Divisional Finance Partnering
Our client is a federal government agency located in Canberra. They are a large department with a relaxed but professional environment. They are currently performing a critical function in the COVID-19 response.
If you are seeking to commence, develop or further a career in government management accounting, this is a quality opportunity for your learning and development with a supportive Director and team who will proactively integrate you into the APS, or if you are already in government, help push your career forward. This team is small, friendly, prioritise internal promotion, cross-train, and enjoy coming together as a unit to deliver on their outcomes. This initial 6-month role will see you working closely with the Director and Assistant Directors’ finance business partnering into various Divisions.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Monthly management reporting, forecasting and analysis of cost centres and accounts
- Review capital and project works, accounting and capitalisations including sense checking the numbers, understanding assumptions, and performing due diligence activity
- Develop and maintain supporting worksheets for internal budgets and costings
- Assist to coordinate budget process and budget documentation
- Engage with relevant stakeholders to understand their business areas and key programs so that you can assist with accurate costings, budgeting and forecasts underpinned by supported assumptions
- Reconciliations / prepayment journals / end of month accruals
- Distinguishing and allocating capital and operational expenses
- Providing strategic financial advice into divisional areas (e.g. ICT).
These roles require strong analysing skills and the ability to problem solve and seek out answers to complex issues. You are a person who can learn fast and contribute quickly. Qualified accountants with finance business partnering or accounting experience in government are encouraged to apply.
The successful applicant will demonstrate:
- Relevant accounting qualifications including CA/CPA or a good progress towards
- Previous experience in complex budgeting and forecasting
- Sound awareness of the PGPA Act and its compliance requirements
- High attention to detail
- Intermediate Excel skills with the ability to perform sophisticated analysis of data
- High level of organisation with ability to manage deadlines and competing priorities
- Highly developed interpersonal engagement skills
- A willingness to get into the detail and produce high quality work.
$48 – $63 per hour + super.
You must be an Australian citizen with ability to obtain a Baseline AGSVA security clearance, though a clearance is not necessary for commencement.
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link. Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please contact Alan Larby on 02 6108 4878, quoting Ref No. 9444