Connect with Tom on email, or via, via
POSTED 8th Jul, 2022 REF NO. BBBH16624
APS4/5 Technical Officer
Our client is a Federal Government Department that develops and implements policies and programs to ensure Australia’s agricultural, fisheries, food and forestry industries remain competitive, profitable, and sustainable. With approximately 5000 staff nationwide, they have excellent career opportunities for someone looking to pursue a career in agriculture, biosecurity, and sustainability.
A fantastic opportunity to secure a lengthy contract in a larger Federal Government Department in an area that implements governmental biosecurity functions to allow for the safe movement of plant and biological products into and out of Australia.
- 6 – 12-month non-ongoing contract with extension options
- Work is a busy, fast paced, and supportive team environment
- Sought-after Federal Government Department with career progression opportunities
- Comprehensive training provided
- City-based location with easy access to shops, cafes, and public transport
Working at the APS4/5 level, you will be a part of a collaborative team but have capacity to work independently. You will work with a dedicated group of officers who are committed to maintaining and improving Australia’s biosecurity system. Duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Analyse trade and import data for plant and biological products to help identify emerging biosecurity risks across import supply chains
- Provide technical advice to stakeholders on operational biosecurity issues
- Develop a strong understanding of Australia’s animal biosecurity risks, policy, and operations
- Contribute to the maintenance and provision of import conditions in the Biosecurity Import Conditions System
- Collect, collate, interpret, and present import data
- Prepare reports, develop conclusions, and prepare findings and recommendations
Your Background and Experience
To be successful in this role you will have a strong interest in biosecurity and be motivated to learn new tasks and work in a team orientated environment. In addition, you will have the following:
- Excellent communication skills and proven science communication skills, scientific report writing etc.
- Experience working in fast paced environment with shifting priorities
- Knowledge of the principals of biosecurity and risk management, understanding of the Biosecurity Act 2015 would be highly regarded but is not essential
- The ability to work effectively both within a team and independently
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant area of biological, agricultural, environmental science or similar is mandatory in order to be considered. Graduates are encouraged to apply but any applied experience will be viewed favourably
- Australian Citizenship and the ability to successfully pass a national criminal history check are essential
Salary / Rate
$69K – $83K + 15.4% super (depending on experience)
How to Apply
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link.
Alternatively, for a confidential discussion, please contact Tom Haskell on 02 6108 4878 quoting ref no. BH 16624.
HorizonOne is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and we encourage applications from people of all cultures, capabilities, and backgrounds.